Ask the Planet is the Biomimicry Institute’s award-winning album of children’s music, created help connect children to nature and create a sense of awe for the environment. Every song is joyously performed by The Missoula Coyote Choir and Friends. Guest artists include folk greats: Ani DiFranco, Bruce Cockburn, Brandi Carlile, Dar Williams, Erin McKeown, Laura Love, Bill Harley, and Bill Sims, Jr. All songs by Amy Martin.
Ask the Planet is a great educational tool in both formal and informal educational settings. Teaching guides and complete lyrics are available for each of the original songs and there are Spanish translations for three of them.
Teaching Guides Detail
The activities in the guides are appropriate for elementary school students and include connections to language arts and social studies.
Each guide includes:
- Intro: Background, the big ideas involved in the song.
- Connections: Keywords to help teachers find songs/lessons that relate to other subject areas
- Objectives: Specific goals of the lessons provided
- Discussion: Questions to help get the students thinking together about the song.
- Activities: Activities that explore the key idea in the song.
- Modifications: Many of the guides contain suggested modifications, using the term “grow it” to show how an activity could be made more complex, and “shrink it” to describe a simplification.