In this lesson plan, the students observe animal solutions to engineering problems presented in seven videos. They examine animal solutions and explore a comparable human problem. Ways that humans can solve a problem inspired by animal observations are discussed.
Seven different video clips are used in this lesson. All are available on the Shape of Life website.
- Sponges: Filter Feeding Made Visible (2:17 minutes)
- Sponge: Wild Ride Through a Sponge (2:19 minutes)
- Cnidarians: Deep Sea Research (8:39 minutes or go from minute 2:00 to 3:10)
- Flatworms: The First Hunter (9:54 minutes)
- Annelids: Abarenicola, Burrowing Worm (2:38 minutes)
- Arthropods: Blue Crab Molting (2:24 minutes)
- Molluscs: Nautilus Regulates its Buoyancy (1:54 minutes)
- Echinoderm: Sea Star Time Lapse: Eating Mussel (2:47 minutes)
Through observing video, discussion, and critical thinking students describe the animal solutions to engineering problems and think of a comparable human problem and a solution that is inspired by the animal’s solution.